Monday, December 1, 2008

Tryptophan Hangover


After so many years as a vegetarian, I tend to overdo it with the Thanksgiving turkey. I feel a little fuzzy, and quite incapable of coherent ramblings. Here, instead, are some photos of our week.

We were going to skip Thanksgiving this year. Reminders of last year's beautiful time with Chris were weighing heavily on us. Our best friends e-mailed us, and said they would like to come out from Santa Fe.

So they did!

This is Neve, our goddaughter...

She came with us to check out affordable housing in Los Angeles...

Her mom and I got some exercise...


We hit the beach with her dad. (You can see I am already feeling the effects of too much turkey)...




Neve got to hang out with Marley...








Saturday was the monthly playdate in Little Ethiopia. The organizer asked me if I would do something crafty with the kids. 'Crafty' is not normally a word used to describe me. 'Crabby,' perhaps, but not crafty. I gave it a shot...


We made ornaments that have the Ethiopian flag on one side, the American flag on the other side, and a space for the kids to add a picture of themselves. Here is the link if you want to make one. It was fun, easy, and not too messy. I think it occupied the kids for a good twenty minutes.

Neve had a great time. Pip and her friends were picking her up ...



There was also a cake to celebrate three former Horizon House residents 'One year home in America' anniversary. Neve spotted the cake across the room and began pounding my chest screaming, "CAKE CAKE CAKE!!!" We have a lot in common...



More important than turkey and cake, today is World Aids Day...


Here
is a link.

Also, blogland rejoices today as a lovely family finally becomes complete.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday. There is so much to be thankful for.

12 comments:

  1. What a great Thanksgiving! I love all the pictures. You guys are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week! And your goddaughter is absolutely scrumptious!!! I'm not the crafty type but will totally try those flags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe we missed the Messob play date where you were crafty AND Steven was there! xox-kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend and I always look for parks where we can park our butts. In fact, we have a park that we have named "Park Your Butt Park." Loved the photos! Your turkey was stunning, girl. And beautiful kids to boot!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your flag design went over well. Neve is oh so so so so cute!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmm....turkey!

    Looks like fun was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you with your fabulous holiday! Uh, your turkey is amazing...at our Thanksgiving somehow one of the vegetarians ended up carving the turkey...with a vegan hovering, commenting and watching...it amused me to no end...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that little house! My girls would be occupied for hours if that was in our backyard. So glad you had good friends to keep you company on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, what a great Thanksgiving. I'm so jealous that we are so far away! Looks like so much fun with such nice company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have I told you lately that I love your blog? Just everything about it. Thought you should know.
    So glad you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie, Julie, Julie.
    I am on the edge of my seat for ya.
    I'm sure you know what I mean.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so so so funny and wonderful. And crabby is not always bad.

    ReplyDelete