Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Culmination


Meazi graduated from Pre-k a couple of weeks ago.

Steven made her rainbow eggs for breakfast. What exactly is the limit on how much food coloring a child can have?


My mom was here for the big day.


Melese felt like looking presentable...
He loves to hear the sound of his own voice in an auditorium.


Meazi, as expected, likes to perform. Here she is with her portion of the zoo phonics program. I think she had Ollie Octopus and Peter Penguin.

The kids came out of the classroom, and the principal presented them with a lei and a small stuffed fish. The theme was "Under the Sea." Our friend Deb attended, as did our crossing guard Stella.



Meazi was always the first one at school.

I can't really put into words what this school has meant to Meazi, but here is a note that I wrote to her teachers:

In an emergency, during an accident, whenever someone is experiencing trauma, the people who arrive on the scene to help immediately are called first responders. They tend to wounds. They speak words of comfort and strength to those full of fear, and in shock. Sometimes they even restart a heart. We feel like the four of you, the teachers in room 11, are Meazi’s first responders.

Last August, when we brought Meazi and Melese home to America, Meazi continually spoke the words ‘lijoch’ (Amharic for children), and ‘school’. School was one of a handful of English words that Meazi knew. Meazi had experienced huge losses, was unable to communicate her needs to us, and was very, very, scared. We hadn’t expected to put her in school right away. Her paperwork said she was two, and we figured we had plenty of time to think about school after she had been home with us for a while. Upon meeting her in Ethiopia it was clear that she was older. Her requests for ‘school’ were constant and emphatic. Dr. D, another first responder, saw what we saw, and managed to enroll her in your four-year old classroom with a two-year olds birth certificate. It has been, to date, the best decision we have made for Meazi. The four of you have made a huge difference in Meazi’s life. We are forever grateful.

Like every other parent of a Pre-k’er in room 11, we are thrilled that Meazi knows that bats are nocturnal, that pumpkins decompose, and that dinosaurs are oviparous; more than that though, we are so thankful that you L, M, T, and L were there to tend to wounds, to speak words of comfort, and to even restart a heart.

Thank you.

Meazi on her first day of school...


Meazi on her last day of school...

Next stop, Kindergarten.

26 comments:

  1. This makes me feel entirely goosebumpy, and like my heart just got a little bigger.

    By the way, *I* didn't know that dinosaurs were oviparous. In fact, I have no idea what that means :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I thought of G's teacher as a first responder and not a colossal B. Glad she had such a lovely year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am so very, very sure that her teachers were beyond touched by that note. Thank you for giving that to them....

    Those last two pictures? Beginning of the year and end of the year? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That girl is so alive! She is vibrant. I love the first and last day pics. They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so beautiful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. Is making me just about cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the note you wrote, and I'm so happy that school made such a difference for Meazi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could have been there for that day. She's beaming and wow Melese is handsome. I LOVE the pics and I love that you sent such a touching note but then again...that's who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, you had me in tears. What a special mommy, daddy, little girl, and teachers all working together for love and kindness. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BEAUTIFUL! Wow! How they grow so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for sharing this lovely note
    what wonderful photos of beautiful beautiful children

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very exciting...nicely written!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her teachers will treasure that letter forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speaking as a teacher (K and 1) I can guarantee that those teachers will hold onto that note and cherish it. What wonderful words to give them. I have kept all of those warm fuzzy cards I have received over the last 10 years. When I have bad days when I wonder why I teach when I could be home with my own kids, I take them out and re-read them and know that I do make a difference.
    Your children look so happy, and Melese is adorable in that suit!!! Have a great summer!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am certain that this made M's teachers bawl their eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they will carry this note in their heart for the rest of their days. Here's to the turning of the last page of an achingly beautiful chapter in the life of your sparkly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your writing does such beautiful things for people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to Ms. M! Amazing how important it is for our kids to be surrounded by people who care and go the extra mile. What a touching note you wrote and your kids look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. so glad your darling little girl had such lovely teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful letter to the teachers and what beautiful children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think your posts should come with a warning like, Continued reading may result in a sudden breakout of an ugly cry. Has anyone offered you a book deal yet?!!

    Yay, Meazi!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely post and what a note. Thank you for sharing it. So much growth and healing in a year. And, yet, sometimes I feel like it is the tip of the iceberg.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible child, incredible teachers, incredible parents. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So beautiful. Whenever I read your posts, I can't get over what a perfect match you all are for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy. For Meazi. For Melese. For Meazi's teachers. For you, your husband, your mother your friend and all of us who get to share in this.
    Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. got chillbumps in the waiting room. m stories are so good for my heart!

    ReplyDelete