Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Way to a Girl's Heart...

In the three months that we have been home, Meazi has uttered the words,"Mommy, Meazi happy," about a dozen times. Out of those twelve times, ten of those were during, or right after eating Ethiopian food in our kitchen.

Today was my third attempt at Doro Wat.

Although I didn't hear those three coveted words, I did here these three,

"Good wat-ty Mommy,"

And these three,

"Mommy, I like it."

And these five,

"Spicy food, I like it!"

I learned a great tip from Pip & Squeak's mom. You can chop as many onions as you'd like (say a Costco sized bag) and freeze what you don't use. Then when you want to make another dish, the onion part is already taken care of.

The days of fooling Meazi about the injera are over though, "Mommy, this is not injera, this is a tortilla!"

14 comments:

  1. May she never forget the difference between injera and a tortilla!

    I still haven't gotten around to trying any of the recipes in the Ethiopian cookbook I got many months ago, and now time is running out! Or, just beginning, depending on how you look at it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are GT with that divine ET food!

    Has Dr. LaBootie-Mini tried Mexican? just wondering... Olly Ash ate spinach enchiladas for lunch yesterday.

    I totally need to yank out my Marcus Samuelsson in another attempt. I completely botched the jerk chicken recipe a few months ago and it demoralized me....sigh.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that same cookbook and R has that same shirt! :)

    Darling post. She is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We drove 2hrs (each way) on Sunday to get Ethiopian food for lunch and I got an 'AWESOME!' for my troubles. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your little Meazi! Such a spunk! I'm coming over for your wat one of these days...

    Hugs,

    Ev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is she helping you cook? How sweet!

    P.S. The onion tip is PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is like staring at a stained glass window!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doro wat brings out the happy in our house too! So worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet. Your dorowat looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...doro wat! Its a favorite in our house too (although Antone has yet to experience it!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that she called it Wat-ty, too cute!

    ReplyDelete