Monday, April 13, 2009

Sunday Garden Tour- A Day Late


The Habesha Garden is coming along. Steven has been working very long hours at his job, and it seemed like the Habesha Garden was not going to continue this year. Luckily, I nagged him he rallied, and things progressed.





Also, our Loquat tree had babies. Would you like your own tree? We have plenty of saplings. The fruit can be used in cheesecake. Hint. Hint.




On Sunday we got a call from The Rooney's. They had a hive of bees at their house that they needed to get rid of. They knew that Steven had an interest in bees and beekeeping.


Steven had never removed a hive before...


Luckily Abe helped.



As I mentioned before, Moses is highly allergic to bees so I found a family (through the earthy, crunchy, Waldorf-y school) who wanted to keep the hive in their yard. They live close to us, so Steven can visit the bees whenever he wants.

There was something so moving about getting these bees from Ted, Lori and Abe. The thought of Steven tending their bees, made it all of the sudden more interesting to me. Now three families are involved in keeping these bees.

To fully show the sweetness of my husband during this procedure, he arrived at the new family's house, and asked the two young boys who live there if they would like to carry the bees in. He made them part of the cycle from the very beginning. (A note about these two boys; I have subbed for both of them. One day at the school I said to the older one, "Oh, I subbed for your little brother in Kindergarten." He said, "I know. He said you are mean." Nice. Told you I was a surly sub.

So the bees are safely ensconced, and the garden is ready to go. We still have to put in the grain row. We will be planting tef again.

There will be a Habesha Garden again.

19 comments:

  1. Pick me! Pick me! I want one! I went on this huge rambling about how we were going to get a new fruit tree every year at Easter for Judah. Guess who didn't get one yet? Now I think it's fate. Please, PICK ME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, here's the deal...not only will I make a Loquat cheesecake, but I will meet you in LA, on Thurs. to see the Elias Sime exhibit and pick up my sapling...hint, hint back at cha! Little Ethiopia(n) is in and I think one other PAP from So.Cal!! Anyone else? It's better than surly subbing :)
    Harmony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm ... loquat - I looked it up and I think our humidity would keep it from ever bearing fruit. Sounds like Danni could really use it :)

    Love the Habesha garden ... makes me want to eat some veggies! Steven sounds extremely cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your garden Julie. I'm totally living through you right now. I wish I had it in me to start a garden.

    That cheesecake looks deadly and wonderful all at the same time. Totally craving it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the garden, and HA! for the subbing story. I hope you said, "Damn straight."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super! I love the Bees. Steven is Brave and uber Awesome.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- Your beehive extravaganza blew me away. Amazing and very cool that 3 families are involved in the upkeep. I am even more impressed that Steven has a beehive uniform (have no idea what it is called) ready to pull out immediately. Kinda like a firefighter. Very cool. Love the garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I know he said you were mean." Ha! Thanks for that - I laughed out loud. Every good parent has to be mean, or surly or call it what you will. It is of course extremely mean to have them go to bed before 10 PM, serve them veggies BEFORE dessert and have them pick up their toys. Nice parents don't do that only meanies. Recently a friend asked Q if I was a great mom (I could tell she instantly regretted what was meant to be a rhetorical question the moment she asked it) his answer "Occasionally."

    Bees are so important! How wonderful that they were moved to a location where they will thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still laughing at the "you are mean" part....ah, sweet child...
    Steven, we need to clone you....seriously..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh look at me now-- I want to yell stuff like "RISE UP!" and "AMEN!".

    Oh yeah! Me and my boys are totally coming on vacation for some of that habesha garden yumminess!

    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. If kids think you are mean, it means you are an excellent sub. I never call back subs who my kids like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you guys. Those bees are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I immediately thought the bees would be destroyed. I'm so pleased they were merely relocated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the garden tour was very exciting. And just think of what is yet to come...on so many fronts.

    Brave bee keeper, that Steven. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You, mean??! Nevah! Kids just don't like change. I would love a loquat sapling, but around here we have nine months of winter and just three months of mediocre sledding. (not really, I'm just feeling icky about the persistence of the cold.....you know me, winter gripe queen I am...) Steven is a hard working man. I like it. Brave, too, yikes on those bees. Love the 'bee uniform!'

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pics! So jealous of your garden. Ours is still sitting under our plant-growing lights indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did someone say cheesecake???? yes, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow... your weekend was a lot more interesting than mine! Beekeeper's outfit = tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this is way cool! I'm so impressed with the garden! And the bee tending -- way beyond cool... especially for surly subs like you. :)

    ReplyDelete