Thursday, April 7, 2011

Is This...? Is This...?

If you have I-Photo on your computer you may be using a relatively new feature there called Faces. The program magically scrolls through your photos and helps you categorize them using facial recognition.
I have folders there of Meazi and Melese. You can tag your photos, just like Facebook. Is this Meazi? It asks me, Is this Melese? Meazi may also be in the pictures below,  it tells me.

If you are like me and you traveled to Ethiopia you may have all of your trip photos in your I-Photo. If you are like me and you are just sitting there, organizing your stuff, you might find yourself suddenly overcome.

Is this Meazi?
Is this Melese?


 Melese may also be in the picture below.


It is a bit jarring to see these pop up amid some bright colorful pics of a friend's recent birthday party. Sometimes I have to look twice. I wonder about these kids, and how their day is going. I wonder if they have eaten, or if they are sick.

Just something I noticed. Try it. Batch your trip photos with your everyday photos, and start searching for the faces of your kiddos. Is that them?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, that is powerful. Hit me right in the gut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love it too. Cried one day as we were going through pics from time in Dube Bute and it said, Is this Eyasu? and it was his bio bro. They look so much alike. Wow, powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I will be thinking about this post for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I do this all the time. When people post photos of the Ethiopian countryside or people walking on the roads or on the streets of Addis, I *always* imagine seeing Abe's face there. Punch in the gut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the developers had no idea what powerful emotions such a seemingly simple tool would create in it's users. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too. What Lori said. What you said. Ow. Oh. Yup….

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh. And it won't ask you if that is "Evelyn" or "Julie." We just happen to have been born into extreme privilege. Too difficult to reconcile. The hoarding of a minority at the expense of a majority.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check this little guy out (4th row rt side):

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pulitzercenter/page5/

    I found this and had to check the dates it looked so much like Melese to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god Lauren. That just made me weep. It looks so much like him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, It made me weep too.

    At first I thought it was Melese before he came to join your family. Then I just wept because, no it is not Melese, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete