Friday, July 29, 2011

Growing Pains

Meazi is having growing pains, literally. Her shins hurt. I have to buy new clothes and shoes for her all of the time. I am now an Ebay shopper, bidding late into the night on used Naartjie leggings. I wake up in the morning and do an Ebay walk of shame over to my laptop, half hoping my rash overbidding has been outbid by someone who likes Naartjie more than me. I am working on her back to school wardrobe. I keep an eye open for butterflies, and purple, and 100% cotton.

She just had her last day of a month long summer program. Originally I had her in the Spanish Immersion class. She was miserable, so I switched her to art. We now have tons of painted toilet paper rolls, and decorative switch plate covers filling our rooms. She liked art. I was happy that the program was so diverse. Today, her last day, she told me all sorts of stories about her racist classmates. There was a boy who told her she was disgusting the very first week. She had mentioned it when it happened, but what she didn't tell me was that he said, "You are disgusting. Black people are disgusting." A second student told her that "Chocolate people were stupid". In both instances, Meazi spoke to the child and then to her teacher. The kids were reprimanded. Steven said the problem with all of this diversity is that this diversity apparently involves skinheads too. All are welcome. Meazi, surprising me with her strong sense of self, and her brave sense of right and wrong, believes these kids are wrong, and sad, and bullies. She feels sorry for them that they don't see how beautiful chocolate is, and how a mixed family is special. She knows to gravitate toward the students that agree with her.

I am watching her grow up. Her length astonishes me. The family bed is getting more and more cramped. She is tall and strong.

On our way to class one morning she said, "Mom, we should really get back to the zoo. It looks like on July 9th there will be a new Los Angeles zookeeper." She was looking up at a billboard for this movie. It had a Coming on July 9th banner on it. I loved this so, so, much when she said it. I love that she doesn't understand movies, or billboards, or who Kevin James is.

This moment, as I am writing this, she is sitting next to me braiding her doll's hair and asking me if I like Lady Gaga. She is wearing her new underwear I bought her at Target today, and her butterfly backpack, and nothing else. In the backpack are her doll's clothes. She says that she and her baby Sarah are traveling to North Ecuador to visit Sarah's mom. She says that she adopted Sarah, but that it wasn't because of a sad reason like her adoption. She says, 'Sarah's moms are both living".

"I think Lady Gaga is a wizard. Do you think so mom?"

I'm not sure Meazi. I'm not sure.

13 comments:

  1. Ugggggg man. I am so sorry those horrible, hateful things were said to her by other children. Who the fuck raises their young child to say such hurtful, shameful, abhorrent crap to other kids? Infuriates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Meazi. I'm sorry she had to deal with those horrible things that were said to her by mean spirited kids. I've never heard Lady Gaga referred to as a wizard before but she might be onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she may be the best wizard of all. The hearts she has melted, the tears and laughter she has inspired. Oh Meazi. Have some ibuprofren and go to sleep dear. Lady Gaga's got nothin on you! Dream of trouncing on mean hard hearted hateful people and spreading your sunshine to people all over the world!

    Happily ever after. The end

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing little girl you have. i'm definitely not looking forward to the world of older nasty kids and i have a feeling it may be unavoidable. i pray her beautiful spirit never dampers. you're doing a good job, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Thinking)

    All of our kids will face that stupid racist #$!@ at some point or another. This saddens me, but it's also a certainty that the racists will begin to come out of the woodwork. What bothers me is that Meazi has had to deal with so many of them at one time. And you're a much better mother than I am . . . because I have the feeling I would have given Carter permission to start kicking ass. We all know racism is alive and well. But that some kids thinks he or she could step to my child with that mess and get away with it? Not on my watch. LOL!! Carter would already have been kicked out of the school probably. (Sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Meazi is such a beautiful mariposa. I loved meeting her and reading about your amazing girl. We know all about growing pains. Scootle gets them all of the time. The only things that helps is letting him rest and rubbing his legs. Ugh about racists ... good thing she has a strong sense of who she is and that she is adored and beautiful.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Julie -- you must be doing something SO right to be raising a girl with such strong (and correct) convictions at her tender age. Well, well done. And can I just say -- "Sarah's MOMS"?? Plural? I love your daughter, and therefore all of you. Please, please come and experience our amazing town?? I can personally guarantee that there is not a child here who would ever say anything like she heard at that camp. Diversity doesn't have to include skinheads, truly. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that sweet girl of yours.....the things she says and how you describe her strong spirit. it is poetic, and if you haven't considered it already you should look at your posts and put together a book. really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Her two moms are living." Love it. Diversity should NOT include skinheads, how awful, but sounds like Meazi handles it like a rockstar. On the family bed, well, my big girl moved to her own bed when she was... 10 (and 3/4). :) I hear you on the amazing tallness. What a wonderful little girl you are raising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. what a wonderful girl. and you - a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your girl looks amazing and IS such an amazing person !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is beautiful and sad when our kids are wise beyond their years. she makes the beauty look so easy. she is so kindhearted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful heart your girl has. And if no one has recommended it, bananas for the growing pains!

    ReplyDelete